Wednesday

My thoughts you ask?


So i went to Auschwitz. Probably the main reason I got sick because we were walking around outside all day. But it just makes me think that I was wearing so many clothes and all they would of had back in those days were those striped pyjamas.

It was horrible. The whole thing was horrible. It's the kind of thing you will never ever forget. And thinking back on it makes you want to cry. I mean, at the time I was kind of numb to it all. Because there is just so much being thrown at you that it's almost like something that's not real. A show even. The cells. The death walls. The underground gas chambers. The piles and piles of children's shoes. It makes me think back to when my Auntie Isobel use to say that she thinks anyone is capable of murder under the right circumstances. I always assumed this was from her defending some many people as a criminal lawyer. Well I agree completely now. I'd never really thought about it before. But now I believe it is in all of us. You. Me. My Dad. My Mum. My Sisters. Friends. Now I'm not saying we are all Nazi's but lead people in the right direction, get them desperate or solely believing in something and it is possible. It's been proven so many times in history. And ironically I think that's the only reason it hasn't happened recently. Because we have our case studies. Our bloody Mary's, our Hitlers, our Stalin's.

There was a quote at the beginning of Auschwitz that upon reading it you don't fully understand until you complete your tour at the end.

"Those who don't remember history, are doomed to repeat it".



Auschwitz was made into a museum and opened to the public just three years after it was liberated/discovered by the red army in 1945. The blood would have been fresh on the walls. Years later it was marked as a UNESCO heritage site and to be kept as a museum permanently. I think the purpose of this is not to forget what happened there.

I was sceptical riding in a small cramped bus on the way to Auschwitz, thinking how ironic it was that people many years before would have been taking the same journey with an extremely different fate. It annoyed me that I was a tourist going to see such a place of death. Like I was celebrating it or something. Almost like when you go to Port Arthur in Tasmania, they don't mention Martin Bryant because they never want to glorify what he did. They believe he did it to get attention so they refuse to give him that attention. The Holocaust is the opposite.

In 1944, The leaders of Auschwitz started to destroy all the crematoriums and gas chambers to try and cover up their crimes because they feared invasion. So when you go there today there is one small gas chamber and crematorium to see but there are only ruins of the other major underground gas chambers. But they made a very large scale model of how it was so you can get a visual. Standing there, you get this overwhelming sense of fear. I don't  know if its a feeling left from its victims, the fear of when they would start to internally bleed and realise they weren't having a shower and scramble for the door. That's partly the reason the chambers were underground also.

So I encourage everyone to go there. Get a glimpse of how evil humans really can be. And realise that this kind of evil still exists today. The main reason Auschwitz and the holocaust were allowed to happen was 1. No one did anything and 2. It was hidden from the world. Portrayed as fun worker camps. Even the Jews thought they were being 'disinfected' to be transported to go live in a new country of their own.

So dig. Dig into the news, dig into the next injustice you see. You never know what is going on behind the curtain.

Small Crematorium

Childrens shoes







Also I will make an Auschwitz video but I need sometime to recuperate first.

Also watch this video, evil does still exist today:

Or this:


and then sign this:

https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3191



1 comment:

  1. Wow Tara, that was very eloquent and I loved reading your thoughts. It is very scary to contemplate the potentiality of evil in one another. But as good old Dumbledore would say, in the end, the even bigger potential for love will triumph. I think we are getting there slowly :-)

    ReplyDelete