Wednesday

Istanbul



Emma is here with me in Istanbul and is catching me up on all the Devonport gossip. Makes me want to shoot myself. I cannot believe some of the stupid things people entertain themselves with in that town. Not giving me hope lol. But you probably don't wanna hear this either. #SmalltowngirlBigwandererProblems


We go to Gallipoli tomorrow. Exciting. Probably a morbid day again. For those who don't know, Gallipoli is very close to all Australian and New Zealander's hearts because in the First World War, a lot of our people died there. They were ambushed. So a lot of us visit the place to pay our respects. Then the next day, we will either go to a water park (because I've heard that Turkey is notorious for 'unsafe' water parks) or do more exploring of the city Then the next day (22nd), we make our way to the Greek islands. Via buses/ferry. Very long journey.

Before coming here, everyone was warning me. I don't know if you saw but there were riots and people died but i was like "nah we'll be fine, we'll just stay out of those areas". We're staying right in the area. lol. Our hostel is in Taksim. There was a gassing right outside our hostel. On our street. But..... it was before. Before we got here. Its all over now so its fine. But it all started when the government enforced restrictions on alcohol selling and on abortion rights. Then the final straw was when they were going to demolish the Taksim Park here to install a shopping mall. One of the main parks. So the protesters chained themselves peacefully to the trees but the police just gassed them to get them out and used brute force. And people were hurt. And then all the communities around got angry about this and went to defend the people. Then the neighbouring area, with their football gangs, joined in. So there was gas everywhere in the area for a while and it was hard to breathe. I learnt this all from some people i met who are Turkish Journalists and saw all this. They said the protesters were so peaceful to begin with and the police were so forceful. But when the revolution became bigger, some of the public used it as an excuse to go crazy at the police.

 But it has all subsided now and we're safe. Kind of wish i was here though. I hear there are riots in Brazil now though?

But today, I met an ex-boyfriend i didn't know i had. Stranger with nice physique and eyes (SNPE)-

 "Hello, Lady"

Me, "Yes?"

SNPE, "You don't remember me?"

Me," No sorry"

SNPE, "I'm your ex boyfriend"

Me, "Oh really?" [PAUSES] "Oh yes now i remember!"

SNPE pretends to be offended.

Me, "Oh sorry, Its just that, you weren't that memorable"

SNPE begins to be confused because of the lack of his own comprehension of the depth of English vocabulary presented forward in the conversation.

Me, Struggles to make him finally understand the joke but by this time, the humour is lost. 

We both laugh awkwardly and he goes back to trying to sell us a boat trip. 


Which we went on. Suckers, i know. Some of the other lines were "Excuse me you dropped something" I start to panic. "What?". "My Heart". Sooo lame. Lol

But the quote of the day blew me away when i realise there is somewhere in the world who appreciates architects.

Stranger, looking to both Emma and Tarita, "What do you do in your home?"

Emma, "I'm a nurse"

Tarita, "I'm studying Architecture"

Stranger gazes deep into Tarita's eyes with a look of concern and says, "Oh, we need you. I mean, not me. The whole world needs you".

Emma is left guttered because apparently saving lives isn't enough.

I guess  all the original scholars that invented the renaissance came from here so they'd have to appreciate good architecture.

LOLZ!!!!!! 
Any corrections on my account of the riots? Anyone wanna let me know whats going on in Brazil? Do you think Architecture saves more lives than nurses? Anyone care to speak? I mean, type, i guess.



No comments:

Post a Comment