Tuesday

How I feel about being poor


At the moment I have absolutely no money because I planned way too many holidays that I realised I can't actually afford. Which means I have no money to spend during everyday life because I've put it away for spending on these holidays and the money I've put away still isn't even very much. That's how much I've over estimated my financial stance.

So here comes the big question. Is it better to go on fewer holidays with a more financially comfortable life in general or is it better to absolutely live to the bare minimum and go on many holidays? 

It's really strange this new feeling of being 'poor'. Some people understand this and some people don't. Like when i say 'oh I miss going shopping or out for lunch'; if you say something like 'yeah it's so expensive, you could just get a coffee instead of lunch' then, you are someone that doesn't understand. The attempt to resolve the situation is well appreciated but the difference is between 'budgeting' and being 'poor'. 

Budgeting is when you have money in the bank but know you shouldn't spend it. Being poor is when your bank account is always below $5. Always. Ironically however (in my case), both people probably have the same amount of money. 

See, I consider myself 'poor'. But it is by choice. So I don't mean to offend anyone who is not by choice. I remove all temptation of spenditure by removing all funds and putting myself into this category. Sure, it gets me into very tricky situations sometimes when unexpected bills come in for school etc but by living this way, there is no option of 'budgeting' because ithere is no money to budget. There is no thinking 'oh I really want that muffin but I shouldn't' because when you don't have the money, you don't even think about that. You do wish though.

It is a uncomfortable feeling knowing you always have to pack your lunch because theres no money to buy it, you have to either walk or ride because there's no money for petrol and the hardest thing is when your friends say they want to go for coffee or being the only one at coffee who is not getting anything. Sometimes you do miss the little things that come with having money. And that makes me question this method of living,


So this post is not me complaining about being 'poor' because it my choice to work towards my goal.The question is:

Is it good to be so poor all the time to eventually get something bigger out of it? Or is it better to live more equalised and get something lesser? 

(Ask me again this time next week when I'm snowboarding on mount bulla and I'll probably say yes.) 

Or should we all just win the lottery and have both!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment